PVC WREP 2018
WASTE FROM DEMOLITION AND COLLECTION AREAS – RECYCLING PILOT SCHEME
Waste recovery program from collection and demolition centers
In 2016, PVC Forum Italia and Vinylplus started a three-year joint project called WREP (Waste Recycling project) with the aim of defining the quantities of PVC available for recycling in Italy, assessing the quantities of recycled and defining a Collecting scheme (pilot) to improve the collection and recycling of PVC waste.
Within the framework of the Wrep 2017, PVC Forum Italia, it has found an interest, also by the competent authorities, to the implementation of a system of management of PVC waste that favours the meeting between the demand by the PVC recyclers and the offer from Part of the producers of waste in particular from construction and demolition.
From this base created in the previous years the Project Wrep 2018 Whereas it is proposed to involve, in addition to the same competent authorities, the various stakeholders belonging to the demolition and recycling industries. The objective of the project was to implement a pilot experimentation aimed at detecting, intercepting and recycling PVC in a specific territory, for this purpose the territory of the metropolitan city of Venice was chosen.
The aim of the Wrep 2018 project is to increase the quantity and quality of recycled PVC in Italy with a view to the circular economy, through the involvement of:
- Public and private waste managers
- Building Demolitors
- PVC Recyclers
- Recycled Users
How can we reach him?
- Creating a model of transferable experimentation in other realities
- Guaranteeing traceability and certainty of the material flows of the supply chain
- Evaluating the overall efficiency of the supply chain, in relation to the quantity of PVC recycled also in economic terms
The main purpose of PVC Forum Italia is to provide support and evidence for research and development to promote the activities that allow to increase the quantities of recycled PVC in Italy, thus giving a contribution to Vinylplus’s objective of Reach the share of recycled PVC of 800,000 tonnes by 2020 in Europe.
The data reported to 2017 in Italy were processed 670,000 t of PVC subdivided for the following Application fields:
- 30,6% construction and construction
- 13,1% packing
- 13,0% export compound
- 12,7% Other uses
- 9,2% Electricity
- 4,6% Mobile and furniture
- 4,2% Stationery Items
- 3,4% Free time products
- 2,4% Agriculture
- 1,9% Telecommunications
- 1,5% transport
- 1,3% shoes and clothing
- 1,33% household Appliances
The aim is to minimize the waste and the use of raw materials by reusing, repairing, renewing and recycling existing products and passing the PVC chain from linear to circular.
What is theLinear economy And how does it work? Linear economy is generally a model within which The product develops as the main source of value For business. It follows that Profit margins They derive from the spread between the final selling price on the market and the costs necessary to sustain the production. The theory of the linear economy contrasts with the so-called Model of the circular economy, where products become one of the many ingredients of a Integrated development model, which focuses on selling a service. In this case The business focuses on creating added value That is formed when you accompany a product with a service rather than the pure sale.
The experimentation was organized in the territory of the metropolitan city of Venice, in which the Veritas group has consolidated over time a system of traceability of the waste.
The project that is in place and involves:
- 4 ecocentri:
- An urban waste collector:
- 2 companies of the territory, which treat special waste from demolition and construction:
Through their involvement, it will be detected, intercepted and started to recycle the PVC from:
- Waste streams produced by construction sites
- From the collection in the eco-centres of bulky urban waste
- From waste sorting and treatment plants
- From the direct collection to the producers and installers by the subjects involved in the project
For PVC flows from municipal waste it was necessary to define:
- Availability of collection and storage of the urban waste collector
- How to collect PVC in Ecocenters
- Definition of Logistics
- Feasibility assessment of the recognition and separation of PVC from municipal waste
For PVC flows from construction and demolition waste it was necessary to define:
- Availability of the 2 companies of the territory, which treat special waste from demolition and construction
- Definition of Logistics
- Assessment of the PVC flow to be traced and the storage/separation modes
For the recycling phase, DAE S. R. L was involved and, as an Italian representative of Recovinyl (the European organization created in 2003 by the PVC industry to stimulate and certify the use of recycled PVC) gave and will contribute in:
- Identification of Recyclers
- Estimation of costs
- Quality assessment of recycled PVC
A key step in the Wrep 2018 project was the training activity, launched in June 2018. Based on the didactic material prepared by DAE Srl, were formed by the PVC Forum Italy The operators of the chain involved in the experimentation with the aim of guaranteeing the quality of the recovered PVC. Through training sessions in the classroom and in the field, all the useful information was given to recognize, select and manage the materials in PVC
The training was addressed specifically to two categories of workers: the staff of ecocenters and eco-Recyclli Veritas s.r.l. for municipal waste and personnel of companies in the construction and demolition chain. 41 employees were involved between collection centre managers and operators involved in the management of waste from demolition. In 7 training days.
The end date of the Wrep 2018 project is scheduled in mid-2019 on that date will be disclosed the results obtained by this pilot trial.